Monday, August 26, 2013

Table Talk: Contrasting Sorrows

Mixed media, acrylic washes and graphite, Phillip Hoyle

     In the years when I served churches as a minister, I visited in the homes of grieving families. I talked with them, held them, listened to stories of the deceased, and helped them plan funeral or memorial services. I led the services and often, as a part of my comments, encouraged people to recount their own recollections of the person who had died so together they could smile, laugh, and weep in telling and hearing them. I became used to death in congregational life--its occurrence, its ritualization, its attendant emotions and actions in the grieving.

     Of course, not all of the deaths were the same or had the same affect on the congregation or me. Some of the deceased were so distant from congregational life that they were barely known, if at all. Their deaths seemed to generate little feeling except within the family and friendships. Some deaths affected the congregation deeply because the deceased was so well-known and appreciated. Other deaths seemed tragic in that they came to younger people. By contrast, and because of old age or the nature of the disease involved, a few deaths seemed a great relief to the dying persons and their loved ones. Always there was grief, but usually it was not my own.

     In the past dozen years I have lost five very close friends and relatives, including my parents. If before experiencing these deaths, I was helping other people to mourn, since then I have become one of the grieving.

     Deaths of my clients from the AIDS clinic have deeply affected me. I was a bit surprised by this since I had been professionally related to death for so long. These deaths seem more like those of family and friends. I suspect the personal feelings arise from the fact that I have massaged these people. The direct physical contact creates an intense bond, at least for me. Perhaps I pour more of my energy into massaging them than I ever did into praying and visiting with parishioners. In trying to understand this phenomenon, I find helpful the Cartesian observation that emotions arise from the body. Whatever the contributing causes, the deaths of my massage clients seem more personal, very close to my life.

     Sometimes my massage-related grief brings with it a sense of responsibility. From our conversations during massage, I know that some of my clients appear to be living in great isolation. Following their death, I believe not many other people may be grieving for the deceased. One client had only one woman friend and no relationship with his family. I felt a tragic sense in his aloneness, perhaps more than he did himself. My former congregational connection had always provided a mourning community to remember the one who died, even if they didn’t know him or her well. Now I sometimes feel I mourn alone.

     That usually is what happens to me. I don’t hear of the death until weeks after its occurrence. I don’t attend a funeral or memorial service; I never visit a gravesite. I mourn by telling another volunteer massage therapist about the death, by remembering the few things I know about the deceased, and by writing my memories and feelings. I recall images of their bodies, a few details about their lives and illness, an interesting thing we talked about, and some of the emotions I experienced while working with them. These few, simple actions and memories do not seem like much, but they always seem intense because I have touched my clients and they me. I am sometimes moved to tears and sadness upon learning of their deaths and to even more emotions in recalling the few things I know about them. Am I now called to mourn? Is this a feature of some on-going ministerial vocation? I mourn. I thank God for the lives of these people, my new congregation, my current experience of the body of the living Christ. While I miss their skin and muscles under my fingers, I continue to cherish their memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment