Monday, October 14, 2013

Stories I Tell My Clients: Habits and Habitats



A muscular client complained of pain running from his right hand to his shoulder and neck. I asked him if he worked at a computer. He said, “Yes,” but explained that the pain didn’t occur when he was typing. I asked him if he spent time on line. “Yes,” he again responded.

I told him I had noticed that when I was waiting on a slow-responding program, I tended to get lots of tension in my right hand. I keep it poised over the mouse as if my diligence will save me time. He thought about his habits and realized he slouched and held his body on his elbows when he was on line. And he kept his hand over the mouse ready to hit the button. I suggested he let his hand drop to his side and let his shoulder relax while waiting for a download. I further suggested he get a massage from time to time. I share this story with many people and often have to remind myself.




While giving chair massages at an investment firm for two weeks following the tax season, I watched a room full of customer service workers doing their daily business. They had great work stations with plenty of room, ergonomically correct chairs, the best telephone headsets, computers with large screens, and if they worked one year, any keyboard they desired. But their comfortable atmosphere eventually failed them. I noticed that by three thirty each day they started slouching, crossing their legs, reaching too far for their keyboards. They were too tired, putting in too much overtime, and stressing as they listened to people complain about how their investments weren’t yielding enough (as if this representative of a mutual fund could do anything about that problem). Although the company’s practice of providing massage was a nice gesture, a reward for the workers’ persistence, I thought once a year seemed insufficient. I handed out my cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment