Monday, May 5, 2014

It Didn't Work


This is not the figure I was working with this week but it is from a site in
mid-Missouri not far from where the one I was working on originated.
These two and several other designs were recorded in the Lewis and Clark
Journals from their 1804 trip across the northern plains and mountains
to find a way to the west coast. I imagine this piece pictured here as a
dancing shaman with deer antlers.

Our art projects don't always follow the plans we make. 

Sometimes I feel like they never do quite work in the way I had envisioned. The materials don't seem to cooperate, or I can't find the correct image, or I don't get it placed on the ground properly (meaning to my satisfaction). Life is that way; so is my artwork.

I set out this past week to complete a couple of collages I had in mind and had been collecting the items I was planning to use. I did some research on some images I intended to paint in the mixed media pieces. I prepared the boards I was using as the ground. The projects continued even though I had many, too many, interruptions with family matters, birthdays, dinners out, visitors in, and just too many social opportunities to which I felt obligated. Life's that way too. 

Anyway I will write about that process and include pictures of the finished works next Monday morning. Wish me well.

No comments:

Post a Comment