Monday, September 15, 2014

Life Art


I spent last week saying goodbye to a long-time friend by attending her memorial service and then saying hello to the Missouri portion of my family. I heard on Labor Day of my friend's accidental death. I met Gerry in 1981 when we began working together on educational projects at First christian Church in Jefferson City, MO. Gerry and I not only collaborated; we became friends and intellectual buddies. We worked together creatively but even more enjoyed long discussions about history, Biblical studies, theology, philosophy, literature, politics, and economics. Over the thirty-two years we shared ideas and a rather deep sense of connection. I am missing her and feeling sad about it. Still, the memorial service was a time of enthusiastic celebration of a life well lived, a sparkling intellect, and independent thinker, a fearless yet tactful communicator, a beautiful woman, a beautiful woman, a mother, grandmother, and great grandmother. 

I also enjoyed some healing time being surrounded by my own very lively family--kids, eleven grand kids, ex-wife--and several friends, a wonderful antidote to my sadness. We attended the memorial service together, also a wedding reception at which three grand kids entertained, and a birthday party for three celebrants. We played cards, drank coffee, and talked endlessly. The reunion was as joyful as they always are in our family.

And there was art in the beautiful tribute given by my friend's daughter, the music made by grand kids, art projects underway to make birthday presents, and mostly by the people who surrounded me--the result of their dedication to the ultimate art, that of living a full and meaningful life.

I'm home and back to my studio. That, too feels really good. Sorry to have missed making a post last Monday. Check in next week. I have something to share about my Christmas preparations.

Model in chair, torn paper collage
Phillip Hoyle


No comments:

Post a Comment