Monday, November 24, 2014

Go Primal

I have long been interested in primal images of life, especially those related to several tribes of Native Americans. I read stories, made costumes, learned tribal and inter-tribal dances, and attended powwows. In short, I spent a great deal of my childhood pursuing such images. As a teen and adult I collected artifacts and bought Indian-made jewelry, dream catchers, and paintings. I still follow some Native American writers and usually scan the daily paper for any articles of American Indian news. 



ATCs with a few primal designs by Phillip Hoyle



The topic for this week's Artist Trading Cards swap and make is "Go Primal." I am delighted with the topic, one I may have submitted sometime back, and have collected idea after idea. Here at the first of the week I have made only five cards. Guess I'd better get into my studio and make some more. Over several years I've already made quite a few such ATCs: cards related to tribal masks from Africa, Europe, Asia, and the Americas, and others related to American Indian petroglyphs and pottery designs. Of course now I'm looking for something that contrasts with those things.

A few days ago I decided I needed to get out some materials. I chose leather, feathers, fur, rafia, sand, dirt, and so forth. I hope to use them in mixed media collages that could invoke a primal feel. Now for the feeling part of the assignment. 

Cutouts of some Ute bighorn sheep cutting up. My three new cards.
ATC by Phillip Hoyle. Acrylic washes on paper.

Since I have so few new ones done, I've added some from the past and in so doing hope to find the inspiration for a new batch! I have until Tuesday--that's tomorrow--to complete several new ones. I'm hoping for the best, new images to post next Monday. And I hope to surprise myself and any readers who open these pages!

Go primal. Remember that a lot of European painters of the early 20th century were inspired primal designs. Those images can still stretch an artist's imagination.

Denver 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment