Monday, January 19, 2015

Art Journals

I've shown this paintingbefore.
It's the same figure as in the print
I added to my new journal.
I've used it in several paintings but couldn't
find a picture of the one I wanted to show here.
Oh well.
Last evening I began two art journals related to who-knows-what art experiences to come. One is going to focus on or be inspired by Ute Petroglyphs. I'm using drawings as I make entries but haven't begun to consider whether I'll make daily entries. I'm gluing to the pages small prints of Ute rock carvings; at least I did last night.

Beyond what I have done, I have no clear direction, but I have been encouraged to do this by my artist friend Sue.

Years ago, just as I started writing daily, I was challenged to spend some time keeping a drawing journal--an idea I have never pursued. The suggestion intrigued me, so this Ute journal is my beginning in this new direction.

I made an entry in my "Ute" journal, glued in a small print, and wrote my recollection of drawing the design years and years ago. I also wrote of an interaction with one of my grandsons when I posted a painting of the figure a couple of months ago in Facebook.

That was my start. 

But I mentioned two journals. I made a cover for the second journal, a print of an Osage petroglyph after an 1804 drawing by William Clark, a figure he discovered along the Missouri River. I'm not sure what this journal will be at all although I have many years experience from Mid-Missouri. Who knows? I certainly do not. Still I'm looking forward to what I may learn in days, weeks, months to come as I draw, collage, and make my way through these journals.

Denver, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment