Monday, July 28, 2014

Family Artists


I’ve noted from time to time that one or another of my grandchildren is an artist. This past week visits from several of them reminded me that all of my grandchildren are artists. The first crew came with Myrna, my ex-wife, four of my daughter Desma’s six young artists. I will just give you a taste! Matthew distinguished himself in water colors in middle school and has continued drawing and painting in a number of media. Genaro is an actor, not just that kind parents enjoy in all their children, but one on stage. Again this summer he played in dramas in which he also sings and dances. He likes to dress in fashionable ways and does so very successfully on a very small budget! The two youngest, Ana and Maria, participate in drama and quite often send me samples of their artwork from school, art camp, and down time at home. I keep adding their pieces to my now rather extensive children’s art collection! My daughter’s two other children, Ricky and Lorissa, are also artists. Both are musicians with beautiful voices. Lorissa designs and sews costumes with her mother. She also has acted in dramas for several years in which she also sings and dances, and she continues to draw and to write with skill.

On Sunday, my son Michael stopped by with four youngsters, a son and daughter and two friends. Kalo, who is a composition student at KCMU’s conservatory, plays in a jazz band, experiments with improvised classical music, and on the upright bass accompanies his two sisters in many of their folk music performances, started out as a toddler by beating drums with amazing alacrity, rhythm, and sure meter. He also is quite a painter, movie maker, and writer. Ulzii, his sister, is a fine singer, violinist, banjo player, entertainer, song writer, a fine ballerina, an able actress, and recently a visual artist doing quite adventuresome paintings. I’ve had many pictures from her over the years, but now she seems to be working at it. Perhaps she waited for her older sister, Rosa, to leave home for college to take up the paints! Rosa not only studies biology but also plays cello and guitar, paints, sings, composes songs, writes both prose and poetry, acts, and dances ballet. The eldest child of this family, Evan, is a singer, composer, jazz pianist, and actor.

There was music around the house this past weekend plus listening to and discussing music. Topics included dance—Abby, one of the friends in Michael’s entourage, studies dance at university and provided the occasion for lively conversational perspectives. These young people’s lives are rich with art and artists. That seems perfect to me. If I sound like a proud grandpa, I assure you I am. And there are two more grandkids, a son and daughter of my informally adopted son Francis. Both of these young adults sing and play musical instruments. Some day before too long I’ll bring you up to date on great grandchildren! I’m sure my parents and grandparents would be proud as well.

December, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment