Monday, July 21, 2014

Pop Art

M4C means Meet for Coffee
ATC by Phillip Hoyle

The next ATC trade I plan to attend has as its theme “Pop Art.” To me it seems as if most of the artist trading cards I have seen are in some way Pop Art. No matter what the topic, card makers are attracted to popular culture for at least some of their imagery. Of course there are exceptions: scenic paintings, drawings, and more. But the predominant tendency seems towards pop imagery. 

In the mid-1950s and throughout the 60s Pop Art was striving to make important statements concerning all fine art. To many artists the old traditions seem to have lost their allure or challenge. Already several earlier movements had concentrated on or at least integrated collage and assemblage into works. Following such departures from tradition, some Pop Art used images, wording, ideas
 and techniques common to commercial advertising. Other artists were drawn toward popular entertainment and the cult of celebrity that had made its way into world culture. Pop Art celebrated such images and people using a variety of media and often incorporating cutouts of various kinds. Their mixed media art made new statements. Of course now, some fifty plus years later, artists have to stretch themselves to make any new statements. Perhaps fulfilling such a goal is impossible, but still we try!


831 means I Love You
ATC by Phillip Hoyle
My encounter with texting suggested the approach I have tried to use with my current batch of ATCs, some of which are included in this blog. I’ve taken images from 1950s and 60s LIFE magazines (mostly advertising), messed with them, and added acronyms and abbreviations from texting and other social media to interpret or misinterpret them. The culture has changed. So in these pieces I am using popular images current in my youth and adding to them wording from the current language of my grandkids. Enjoy them if you can! 

Denver, 2014



BTWITIAILWU
means
By the way I think I am in love with you
ATC by Phillip Hoyle
GAGFI
means
Gives a gay first impression
ATC by Phillip Hoyle




No comments:

Post a Comment