Monday, October 20, 2014

Save That!


In a week-long painting workshop I attended years ago, in which I learned a particular approach to using acrylic washes on paper, my teacher had us lay out all our first designs and went around to talk with each of us. He saw one of mine and pointing at it, said, "Save that and hang it in your studio." I was somewhat amazed for it seemed like just a few paint strokes and lots of dribbles in basic colors. He went on, "You will rarely get that free again." AND he was right. So I framed the thing and hung it up where I'd see it every day. 

An assortment of Ute designs
Last week I finally got around to beginning a painting project of smaller pieces, petroglyph designs I could sell at a low price at the co-op gallery up in the mountains. I chose to use all Ute designs from the tribes that roamed what we call the Central Rockies and the Colorado Plateau these days. It's a project still in process, but here's what has happened. I selected sizes and designs. I drew the designs on the designated areas of large pieces of Arches 140# watercolor paper. Then I washed the background with two coats of similar color, the second one slightly darker than the former. and upon washing the second one sprayed a mist of rubbing alcohol on it. The droplets push back the paint leaving a stippling effect similar to the way I see the sandstone rocks where these designs were made. 

The masking medium is shiny and resists the washes leaving
the undercoat untouched.
When they were dry I tore the papers into the marked sizes and painted the designs with masking medium--actually a product used with watercolor washes but that I discovered also works with acrylic washes. It's a resist medium made of latex and ammonia that when the paint dries can be removed with an eraser. It will be left on the paintings through several more washes.

My current "Save It" guide
acrylic washes on paper by Phillip Hoyle
I'm not referring to that first "Save It" piece, but this time using a painting of a petroglyph I made several years ago, one that attracted the interest of collectors and artists. I will this week paint the other layers of washes and next week let you see what happened. 

Art is always a process, and for me it is a process that may go on for weeks. Whatever work you do, get to your studio and get it underway!

Denver, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment