Monday, March 16, 2015

Writers Group

A shaman ran by     Mixed media on paper by Phillip Hoyle

The writers group I attend often seems like a gathering of shamans
for each one seems to have a private connection with an unseen world
from which arise the fascinating stories and poems. We all know also
that sometimes the price for writing them seems very costly.
For fourteen years I’ve been going to the same writers group. At this point I am the oldest surviving member both in my age and in my membership in the group. A friend kept at me to join; I put him off until I was out of school. The final session of massage school the class sat in a circle. Our teacher asked us each to say what we were planning to do with our massage therapy education. When it was my time I announced, “I don’t know if I’ll make a therapist, but I sure do have a book to write about my experiences of trying to become one. And you’re all implicated.” We laughed together. A couple of weeks later I began to attend the writers group and began reading them my start on the book.

I finished that manuscript and began working on some memoirs and eventually some short stories. The group must have been made of steel for they kept coming every two weeks to read and to hear one another. For awhile we met twice a month. Then we changed to once a month, the schedule we now adhere to all these years later. At each meeting we eat together and then read something we’ve written. Each person present can read at each meeting. Longer pieces are read over two sessions so we all have a chance to share something. We hear poems, memoirs, journal entries, short stories, and blogs. For me, the sessions are a highlight of my month. I want to hear Freddy’s poems of sparkling images and always with no wasted words, Sue’s frank poems that celebrate common life, courage, and constancy. I look forward to memoirs from Jan and Tim, journal entries from Claire, blog entries from Frank. I look forward to reading one of my latest memoirs or stories.

We listen attentively. Often we want poems reread so we can really hear the images that want to pass by too quickly. We comment on our favorite expressions, sentences, or sentiments. Sometimes we laugh or cry or simply are amazed. For the past year every session has been remarkable with everyone writing very well.

There have been other fine writers over the years. Some had changes in schedules, residence, or interest. We miss them but enjoy the occasions when we meet socially or they stop by to visit. I’m so pleased to be a part of this group that has contributed so much to my ear, ability, and freedom of expression, that has become such an essential part of my artistic development.

Denver 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment