Monday, March 9, 2015

Yes



A couple of years ago my artist friend Sue with whom I swap Artist Trading Cards produced a number of cards with the word 'Oh' on them. I was intrigued wondering just what she meant by them. Of course, as with all her work, the cards presented viewers with surprise. She is so inventive. I wondered if she also experienced some kind of surprise and wonder in the designing of the cards given that she is so experimental. Probably both of these values were a part of her process.

I got to thinking then about a word I might employ for a similar project. I realized that in my Morning Pages, the three handwritten pages I write almost every morning, I had started using the word yes. It occurs at the end of page three, a kind of affirmation that crescendos in the size of the letters I write:
Yes Yes Yes! It likely is my screaming positively because I often don’t really believe the other affirmations I write out of habit before this enthusiastic ending. Finally, at least a year after thinking about using 'yes', I have made a set of cards, ten of them. Nine go this coming Saturday to a swap at Core New Art Space. One I pinned to the wall of my studio next to one of Sue’s 'oh' cards. Mine are mixed media pieces combining monoprint and collage. AND they were great fun to make. 

One of my Yes ATCs next to one of Sue's Oh ATC's
in my studio.



Denver, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment