Monday, June 29, 2015

Artist Trading Cards


African Drums Artist Trading Cards prints with mixed media by Phillip Hoyle

I had fun printing and then finishing with collage and various pens a set of thirty Artist Trading Cards. I printed on pieces of cut up paintings--some finished, others just in process when I gave up on them. I started with a simple drum shape and printed several cards. Then I added a turtle design and printed more. Then I made the block into a mask and made another six cards. Finally I kept removing parts of the block until I had only the outline of a drum and its head. I printed these black on a several more cards. Some of them got ornamented with designs, the others simply with lines and a tiny bit of design near the bottom. 


Drum ATCs by Phillip Hoyle
I made these rather elaborate (though tiny, 3 1/2" x 2 1/2") pieces of art to please myself. Of course I'll trade most of them, but my purpose was to make drums that satisfied and entertained me. They were also part of my 68th birthday festivities, the part of those festivities I held in my studio.

Denver, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment