Monday, January 11, 2016

Artist Trading Cards Safari


Look carefully as if you are walking through the grasslands of eastern
Africa on safari. You may notice that there is something back in there!
It's a tissue paper skin of a leopard! Keep your eyes open while on
Safari. The grass is drawn with gel pens and  markers.
ATCs by Phillip Hoyle 2016
Last Saturday I traded ATCs at CORE New Art Space in the monthly trade there. The theme Safari intrigued me. I didn’t care to picture high power rifles or over-proud hunters. I opted for something visual, a representation of what one might see in the grass or jungle if one’s safari eyes were properly trained and alert.

I made nine cards with different products. Perhaps they are as varied as the actual grasses of the broad plains of eastern Africa. I also made cards with trees, particularly Acacia and Baobab trees. 

These grasses were made from a commercial handmade green paper with
leaf and twig pieces in it. I drew with pens and cut holes to reveal that
a leopard may be lurking there to surprise you.
ATCs by Phillip Hoyle 2016
Denver, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment