Monday, June 27, 2016

Zodiacal Musings and Art




Upside/Downsies ATCs by Phillip Hoyle 2016
Sorry about them being shown at a further angle.
According to the Zodiac, I’m a Cancerian. That’s more interesting to other people than it is to me. Still, as an artist and writer, I am always looking for metaphors with which to express myself.

When Upside/Downsies was drawn as the topic for Artist Trading Cards I pondered just what I might make. I made nine cards in which the view from a window revealed a lake reflecting a landscape or cityscape. The support across the middle of the window divided the scene at the shoreline, but the pieces were placed in upside/down order. The reflection appeared in the upper portion of the window, and the image being reflected in the lower. I thought some of the cards were interesting.


My Zodiac 69 ATCs. Phillip Hoyle 2016


But I didn’t quit there. I made more cards of the numbers 6 and 9. It seemed significant to me because besides being upside/down in relationship with each other, together they make 69, my birthday. I chose to emulate Art Deco numeral fonts. Hope you like both kinds of cards. Hopefully they won’t all get traded. I’d like to keep one each for my memories of upside down aspects of reality and of my own life!

Denver, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment