Monday, June 6, 2016

Wildflower Art


Wild Beauties by Phillip Hoyle 2016
Mixed media with acrylic monoprint, ink,
color pencil, and acrylic painting. 
My fascination with wildflowers continues alongside my interest in art printing, drawing, color explorations, and mixed media. This week I completed a painting, even to the point of cutting mats and framing it in an old frame. (Somehow framing seems like the final act for me.) The piece portrays some California wildflowers, Colomia Grandiflora, the latest of my interests! I haven’t seen them in person, but I may need to take a trip to California to see their grand variety of wildflowers. No plans have been set. I’m pretty sure I’ll need to do more drawings in Colorado, Kansas, and Missouri before I make that trek.

Anyway I decided to put these beauties on a monoprint I made from my late tape-prints passion. I’m pleased especially with my endurance. My transfer of the design was difficult to see given the texture of the paint of the monoprint, but I persisted until I could see it and filled in the stems and some of the leaves to lead the way. Hope you enjoy this picture that measures 10.5 x 7.25”. I mounted it on a medium blue mat, cut a second mat of bright white, and put it in a simple modern looking dark oak frame.

Denver 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment