Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Mixed Media ATCs


"Feather" ATCs by Phillip Hoyle, 2016

The theme for an upcoming ATC swap took me back to my childhood fascination with feathers. Back then I was making American Indian costumes with feather roaches and bustles. I rather lusted after eagle feathers although, of course, I could not have real ones since I am not Native. I did order some fake ones but they never really satisfied. 

I am rather satisfied with some of my eagle feather ATCs, a group of a dozen mixed media cards I made. The grounds are acrylic washes on heavy water color paper. The feathers are medium heavy mixed media paper cutouts with details in Prismacolor (shades of brown and black). I had seen an old photo in a brochure from the Denver Public Library that seemed to call me back into the past, a rather tough looking warrior of the plains printed in sepia. So I studied his feathers and you can see what I learned!

Eagle feather mixed media ATCs by Phillip Hoyle 2106

Denver 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment