Monday, July 24, 2017

Artist Trading Cards at the Fair

Blue Ribbon and sheet of ATCs awarded
Phillip Hoyle 2017 Denver County Fair

I had a good time at the Denver County Fair after I found my way there by bus. I got lost downtown when I was taking my cards out to enter. I got lost when I tried to return there yesterday to see the art show and recover my trading cards. The bus I rode Thursday doesn’t run on weekends so I caught another one that would require I get off and walk for about ten minutes. I got off at the right place but none of the street names matched the descriptions from the notes I took from the computer. I followed my sense of things but took a turn on a street that used to lead to the Coliseum parking lot. Not anymore. That cost me about a mile of walking. What saved me knew that when I got there I’d see a ribbon on my work.

On the bus I had a voice message from my art friend Sue that I got a blue ribbon for the category and a purple, Judge’s choice ribbon as well. The only time I’d ever got a first was in high school when I was the only boy in my category in a vocal competition. This time the blue ribbon was hanging there. The purple ribbon too! Sadly I had forgotten to take my camera! Oh well.

One of my sheets of cards got lost. I was showered with many apologies by the staff. Somehow I was not bothered since I had gotten lost in so many ways already! 

I had a good time with several artist friends, saw a super art show, received a written critique of my work, and ate some rather fine food. I watched kids and their parents, usually to my delight. It seems my work in Artist Trading Cards the past four years is bearing fruit or at least recognition. I’m pleased.

I got a ride home so I didn’t get lost.

The sheet of ATCs, County Fair 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment