Monday, July 10, 2017

Bubbles Artist Trading Cards

Artist Trading Cards by Phillip Hoyle July 2017
Artist Trading Cards using Bubble and Ink Printing method
by Phillip Hoyle, July 2017

In an old book on nature prints I read about printing from bubbles and have begun my own experiments. I’ve been at it for a few days and all of a sudden have almost 100 prints (3.5 x 2.5”). Some are finished pieces, others grounds for further development. The idea was to use these prints as backgrounds for printing leaves and flowers. The process calls for 1” of clear mild liquid soap in a container. Add 1 tbsp of pen ink and mix with a straw. Blow bubbles (reminded me of blowing bubbles in milk back in my childhood) until they reach above the rim of the container and put paper on them to pick up the ink raised on the bubbles.

For grounds I’ve precut several kinds of paper (and unsuccessful paintings). I’ll not explain. You can look. In my experiments I’m most intrigued with the contrasts of the organic bubbles and mechanically drawn lines. The colors that appear also excite me. You know blue ink on yellow paper turns green. And like with clouds in a summer sky all the designs and figures that appear in these tiny pieces of art.

The fun of the project should keep me busy in my studio as I make larger and larger pieces and find new ways to pick up the paint. I’ve only just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment