Monday, August 21, 2017

Planets Artist Trading Cards


Planets ATCs by Phillip Hoyle 2017

I considered what I wanted to do with the topic planets and was sure of only one thing. I would use a stack of black mat boards (2.5 x 3.5 “) and begin by splatter painting them with water-thinned Titanium White acrylic paints. That step took little time and, of course, I had diluted too much paint. (I looked for more cards and used the left-over paint to wash them and then with a cloth wipe much of the paint away.) I waited until the next day to look at the results. It’s good to wait a day. The color changes. I was pleased with the star-studded results.

ATCs by Phillip Hoyle, 2017
I now had cards prepared and had decided I’d use a circles template. Just how, I didn’t yet know. I considered using a sponge roller to apply a rough surface with craters but was pretty sure I didn’t want to deal with the mess. So I got out my Gel pens, regular ones, Suffle ones, and more. With a Suffle white pen I drew a circle. Then? I was still unsure. I made marks slightly arced to suggest an orb. Then I did more with other colors, more lines, dots, and scrawls. Some I tinted with a different kind of gel.

ATCs Phillip Hoyle, 2017

I worked late in my studio listening to KUVO, a public radio jazz station, and realized how much the music affected what I was doing. When I finished 22 of these cards I decided to sign them. Each one is called 'Jazz Planet'. I don’t know what solar system they revolve in, but I was pleased to have them ready for the next workshop. I look forward to the trades and the new cards I'll make there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment