Monday, May 4, 2015

Arts Retreat


I write from Mid-Missouri, the place where my ex-wife, children, and grand children live. I’m here getting ready to begin an arts retreat at the Green Goat Farm near a tiny town named Prairie Home. It’s a rather tiny farm, too, just about 20 acres in some upland just 10 miles south of Booneville, and not far from the mighty Missouri River.

I begin my retreat on Tuesday morning, a retreat that will feature two main parts. I’m going to spend many hours drawing native Missouri plants for a project I am planning. I plan to fill quite a few tablets with drawings of vines, grasses, flowers, bushes, and trees. I do hope to avoid poison ivy itch and chigger bites. Of course one can never be sure just what may take place.

The other part of my retreat is to write. I have a plan to start a new story of a past relationship that meant a lot to me. I have no good idea of just how this will develop but I’m planning to fill a 400 page notebook of my scratching, type it all into my word processor, and get somewhere beyond a rough draft. Who knows?

I’m looking forward to being in my son and daughter-in-law’s house where arts rule. Music, writing, and dancing are just a few of the things that occur there regularly. Perhaps I’ll add dancing to my repertoire. Who knows? I just hope the animals that live there are nice to me. I think they don’t have any goats right now, but there are chickens (which means roosters) and ducks and cats and dogs and cows and horses. But I’m not there to draw animals, just the flora.

I’ll be back to my regular Denver schedule late in the month.

Missouri! 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment