Monday, August 10, 2015

Inspiration

Ancient traditions of varying cultures assert that artistic gifts come from godly sources. It's in the language of inspiration, the muses, and the artist being gifted. I've thought about those symbols for my whole adult life and wondered at the history and interconnections of the metaphors. Then I finally decided not to worry myself over details and simply say I'm thankful for the gifts--large or small, real or imagined--that allow me to do art. It began with music and before too long expanded into writing, visual arts, multi-media, and so forth. I was mostly just doing a job or several jobs, ones I enjoyed and continue to enjoy every day. I'm not particularly pious, at least by some people's standards, yet I do recognize that in art something has to arise from somewhere to make possible the creation of beauty. May it be the god from within or without. I say this with a deep sense of humility and thanks.

A few days ago someone saw in my studio the crucifix pictured above. He was very enthusiastic for whatever reasons and made over what he described as the wire sculpture's beauty. I was a bit embarrassed. I made the piece decades ago in a workshop in which I also wrote a poem, probably the first one I ever wrote. Certainly it was the first sculpture I attempted. Only many years later did I work with visual artists to learn techniques and the like. I keep the spontaneous piece visible to remind me not to shut off whatever gifts or natural abilities I have in my work. And each day I do my artwork with a sense of thanksgiving.

I must add, just in case you are interested, I did not make the metal saints. They are New Mexico Hispanic pieces of Saints Maria Magdalena and Rafael.

Denver, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment