Monday, August 31, 2015

Recycle Art

The print I showed you a few weeks ago.
One of my art processes is to recycle paintings and prints to use as grounds for Artist Trading Cards. I started doing so about three years ago and have cut old, usually unsuccessful paintings into cards 2 1/2" x 3 1/2". I've then printed, collaged, drawn, painted or all of the above in many different ways. About two years ago I started making tiny floral works on the cards. To do so, I refer to old floral studies, some made about seventeen years ago, others newer, and make the cards. I set out a group of cards and using a variety of pens, make tiny pieces of art. Using my computer I color print them and mount them on pre-cut note cards that I send to folk as short letters or gifts. 

When about four months ago I began playing around with GELLI print plates and produced larger monoprints. I realized they could become grounds for more of these floral prints. Printed on all kinds of paper, for instance, like the page from a magazine shown above, I realized they could serve as grounds for more floral pieces. I hope to make greeting cards with them and mixed media pieces to frame. Of course the larger format presents challenges, one I am just beginning to meet.

A few weeks ago I posted one of the monoprints and suggested I would figure out just what floral thing to do with it. One of my friends said she looked forward to see what I would do. Well, here it is well on its way but still unfinished.


Claret Cup Cacti, white ink on monoprint made on magazine page.
7x5" by Phillip Hoyle

I'm sure these red spots will become the red flowers but haven't quite figured out how. And I'm sure you'll get to see the end result. 

Denver 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment