Monday, February 29, 2016

Mandala Artist Trading Cards


Mandala ATCs by Phillip Hoyle 2016

Last week I made Artist Trading Cards to the theme Mandalas. My background related to the form came from an educational workshop I attended in the East Texas piney woods and was led by a Catholic theologian. The mandalas were an activity we engaged in for self-reflection. I realized while doing these ATCs that I didn't have to use the religious theme for reflection but could do anything I wanted. 

As a result I made circles and four-section marks on old paintings to see what they might suggest. As you could guess I did end up using quite a few religious symbols, especially Medieval ones. The cross shape was difficult to get away from, especially for someone who has two degrees in theology and ministry. I simply played into while seeing to go somewhere beyond it. My greatest success in going beyond was the use of designs on the airline baggage ID from my recent trip to Missouri! In some reflective way it had emotional content but the design pulled me far away from that. It was the final piece I made in that group of 18 cards. Now I wish it had been my first one. Who knows what I would have discovered in the form.

Mandala ATCs by Phillip Hoyle 2016

The workshop and Trade was rich with socializing, laughter, food, and art in a wonderfully stimulating art studio setting. I hope your art week was as satisfying as mine.

Denver, 2016



No comments:

Post a Comment